Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Fishing Out Loud: The End

After 4.5 years of Fishing Out Loud, I have decided to bring the blog to an end. I have had a great time with the blog itself and I hope you have as well.

As I read back over my posts from the last 4+ years I can see how much I have grown as a fisherman. It is comical to look back at my early posts and see how much I used to think I knew about fishing. Five years from now, I will probably look back on my 2014 posts and say the same thing.

As much as I would love to keep the blog going, it has become a hassle in more ways than one. I will be going back to school for my MBA at RPI in August and I just won't have the time to devote to it.

Based on a lot of the comments that I get, I believe people assume that I get paid to write this blog. I don't. I just did it for fun and to share some of my fishing insights and experiences with you.

Quite honestly, I am a very simple person. I like to go to work, spend time with my family, and fish whenever I get the opportunity. I will also admit that I am extremely sensitive. I know I can't please everyone but when people criticize my posts, it generally bothers me and I really don't want to deal with it any more.

I hope over the last four years or so that any of my regular readers were able to pick up a small tip or two that helped them. At the very least, I hope it provided some light entertainment value. I know it was a great experience for me and gave me a venue to vent my frustrations as well as share in my joys of fishing. Five years ago, I never would have guessed that I would have Elite Series anglers contacting me for advice because they read my blog.

I will leave the blog up for a month or so if anyone wants to dig through my old information they can. Then, I will delete it for good. Anyone who wishes to remain in touch can e-mail me at scwilkes22@gmail.com or contact me through Facebook.

Sincerely,
Sean

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to see you end this blog. I normally do not read blogs, but a co-worker who also likes to fish turned me on to you a few years back and I have enjoyed reading it. The people who post negative things most likely don't have anything good to say about anything. How they could say anything negative about your blog is not understandable.

    Best of luck and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel bad for commenting. I feel your descriptive writing about your fishing experiences is excellent. Maybe because your tournament goals are out of reach for most, myself included, I found them less interesting. Good luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad your retiring

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean,
    I would love to read a post from you about your Lake Champlain BASS open event and the Plan D (kicker plan). Nicely done, 2nd place is a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You beat out a ton of flw & elite series pros, dozens of past classic and cup winners, and the best part of all is that Roland Martin was at the bottom of the pile...! Oh, and you one upped that "meatball" iaconelli too !!! You now have an extra 18,000+ reasons to keep up this half ass blog after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sean,

    I read your Blog all the time but I have never commented. While I can't speak for all of you Nay sayers, I do personally know and fish with "spook wizard" and "Picky Anonymous". They are haters through and through. No one hunts or fishes better then they do. (they are brothers) They will complain and find something negative in everything you do, because no one is better then they. I go on a week long vacation with them each year to the Champ, (we were just there the week prior to your 2nd place finish) and I always offer to be camp cook... They complain about every meal every day, and they don't ever offer to cook or do the grocery shopping. I am just tryign to give you a glimpse of the type of ppl who are reading and negatively commenting. My advice, Take it with a grain of salt. Here's a guy who has the money and resources to make a single day 500 Mile round trip excursion to Lake Ontario and catch 2 5LB smallmouth, and this makes him a better fisherman then you.... so naturally when you write a blog about a 100 fish day on "lake X" they are going to hate on you....

    I say all that to say don't stop blogging because of your nay sayers. You are obviously a fantastic stick and you proved that this past weekend. Congrats again on a fantastic finish.

    If grad school and the general craziness of life are your real reasons for retiring the blog, fine we all understand that, but don't let a couple boneheads discourage you. Obviously you provide a lot of good information to a lot of ppl.
    Either way, thanks for the blog and good luck on wherever life takes you next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spook Wizard? Is that what he does? Spook fish! he can't catch a lick. Do what you do Sean. Don't worry about blow hards like that Jack A**.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My father always says, "Every dog has his day"! Sean clearly had his day last Saturday at Champlain.

    ReplyDelete